|Fees||Look up fees|
Cultures and Flavours of Latin America is a subject designed for students interested in a general cultural introduction to the field of Latin American Studies.
In this subject students will learn about the history and politics of Latin American countries, their food, wine production, cultural expressions such as music and film, and their relationship with the rest of the world.
This subject uses a discipline-based methodology involving experts from diverse fields of study such as Cultural studies, Film Studies, Music Studies, Economics, Agriculture and Food studies.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to
- L01 identify historical and cultural realities which have shaped Latin America through time;
- L02 develop their own criteria to understand Latin American reality in the contemporary world by relating this subject to their own disciplines and fields of study
- L03 produce original guided research on multidisciplinary projects about Latin American issues
- L04 connect Latin American to Australian and Asian realities in the global sphere.
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- develop an understanding of social, political, historical and cultural contexts;
- acquire an international awareness/openness to the contemporary and historical Latin American culture;
- learn how to contextualise judgments and knowledge;
- learn how to communicate knowledge intelligibly and economically through assignments, tutorial discussions and class presentations; and
- gain skills in public speaking and confidence in self-expression through tutorial participation and class presentations.
Last updated: 21 May 2020