|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
Semester 1 - Online
Semester 2 - Online
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject will focus on the liver, spleen and sampling. Each topic will be covered in separate tutorials. The tutorials will be of a didactic nature with multiple still and video images to complement the text. Students will be required to obtain images from their clinical cases and reflect on these cases and images as part of the subject.
The anatomy and normal sonographic anatomy of the liver and spleen will be described and reviewed. The sonographic identification, description and interpretation of diseases processes of the liver and spleen will be explored. Sampling- the acquisition of a diagnostic cellular or biopsy sample is an essential skill in ultrasonography. In this tutorial. fine needle aspiration and biopsies- principles, limitations and execution of these techniques will be covered.
Each tutorial will be supplemented by self-assessment multiple choice questions that students must work through to reinforce and reiterate the learning points.
Intended learning outcomes
At the completion of the subject, students should be able to;
- Describe the normal sonographic findings of the liver
- Assess the liver for sonographic abnormalities
- Describe the normal sonographic findings of the spleen
- Assess the spleen for sonographic abnormalities
- Interpret the sonographic findings of examination of the liver and spleen
- Discuss the indications, limitations and potential complications of fine needle aspiration and ultrasound guided biopsy of the abdominal organs