|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject is an introduction to Akkadian grammar and the cuneiform writing system. It covers grammatical concepts and paradigms, sentence formation and translation and reading simple texts. Background information on the ancient Mesopotamian context in which Akkadian was spoken is woven into the subject matter. The aim is for students to acquire the elements of the grammar, syntax and vocabulary of Akkadian, knowledge of cuneiform script and attain reading skills sufficient to begin reading historical, literary and dramatic texts.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject will:
- Read and comprehend basic Akkadian texts;
- Translate basic Akkadian passages and sentences into English;
- Identify and explain basic Akkadian grammar, vocabulary and syntax;
- Identify and articulate the relationship between basic Akkadian texts and their original socio-cultural context.
Students who successfully complete this subject should:
- have an understanding of social, ethical and cultural context of the Akkadian language
- develop their writing skills
- be skilled in critical thinking and analysis
- possess effective written and communication skills
- develop their linguistic knowledge
- have an understanding of social, ethical and cultural context
Last updated: 17 February 2020