|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject involves a major design project that concentrates on preparing a design proposal for a larger spatial scale infrastructure system such as a suburban precinct, a transport system for a small city, or a precinct level water and renewable energy supply system. The preparation of a feasibility study or conceptual design report will be the key deliverable for this subject. Students would work in small teams and receive guidance from experienced engineers in preparing the infrastructure design proposal, which would concentrate on scoping a design to meet societal needs.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Conduct thorough investigations to scope an engineering design problem
- Generate alternative solutions to meet infrastructure needs
- Assess and choose optimal engineering solutions using a multi-criteria assessment incorporating net present value, social and environmental considerations
- Demonstrate ability to work in a team to design a complex engineering project with definite deliverables and completion dates
- Apply core management techniques to the team activities
- Communicate conceptual design solutions via written and oral reports.
- Ability to undertake research and apply critical thought to formulate engineering solutions
- Potential for innovation and creativity
- Proficiency in report writing
- Capacity to summarise and present design concepts and outcomes
- Understanding of how to engage with and work constructively and productively in an integrated multi-disciplinary team to achieve mutually agreed outcomes in a constrained time frame.
Last updated: 2 December 2019