For information on winter intensives that are being delivered partially or fully on campus, please refer to the COVID-19 page.
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject will focus on educational research and practical issues related to the teaching and learning of mathematics through other school subjects in primary and secondary classrooms. In the current world we live in, to be numerate is no longer just about the ability to apply algorithms and procedures in mathematics classrooms; mathematical knowledge and skills are being applied in an increasingly wide range of familiar and unfamiliar situations.
Through engagement in learning activities, participants will experience the role that mathematics plays in STEM and HASS subjects in schools. Acknowledging and incorporating mathematics across the curriculum both enrich the study of other school subjects and contribute to the development of a broader and deeper understanding of mathematics itself. Through the provision of research-guided and practice-informed knowledge, skills, dispositions and mindsets, this subject helps participants and their non-mathematics teaching colleagues to:
- Identify the specific mathematical knowledge and skills embedded in different school subjects
- Provide learning experiences and opportunities that support the application of participants’ general mathematical knowledge and skills
- Use the language of mathematics in their teaching as appropriate.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject students should be able to:
- Critically evaluate educational policies, public debates and school practices relating to mathematics across the curriculum through educational research from a multidisciplinary and global perspective
- Identify research-based opportunities to emphasise the mathematical ideas which underlie aspects of other school subjects (CLO4); and
- Describe mathematics understanding and proficiency from various perspectives (CLO3).
- Critical thinking and reasoning Problem solving Communication Evidence based decision making Creativity and innovation Self-reflection, career awareness and lifelong learning Active and participatory citizenship
Last updated: 16 March 2020