|Fees||Look up fees|
The research paper should identify and critically reflect on an issue persuasively presented as relevant to the candidate’s major project. The key task is that the research paper demonstrates that the candidate comprehends their situation as an artist within a field of comparable activity. It should demonstrate a capacity for critical investigation and discrimination and address context as well as identify pertinent thematic, technical, stylistic and formal issues. Students are expected to present aspects of their research to their peers and produce a 5,000 - 7,000 word research paper for examination at the end of the year.
Intended learning outcomes
This subject will:
- enable candidates to complete a research paper (5,000 – 7,000 words) which complements the major project;
- enable candidates to identify, investigate and test an artistic project requiring independent research activity;
- prepare candidates to deliver a report on their research in a seminar situation among peers and staff;
- train candidates in preparation for research activities involved in higher research degrees.
On completing this subject students will have acquired key skills including:
- the ability to engage in independent and contextually-informed artistic practice;
- well developed and flexible problem-solving abilities appropriate to the discipline;
- the capacity to effectively communicate the results of research and scholarship by oral and written means;
- an ability to initiate major projects and formulate viable research questions;
- a capacity for critical evaluation of relevant scholarly literature and artistic practice;
- an ability to manage time and to maximise the quality of research and scholarship;
- an understanding of, and facility with, scholarly conventions in the discipline area;
- an understanding of the relationship with and responsibility to the cultural environment and society;
- respect for truth and intellectual integrity, and for the ethic of research and scholarship.
Last updated: 2 December 2019