|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject provides a solid grounding in audio journalism skills. The structure of news and current affairs reports is analysed, and training in recording and editing sound packages, and in scripting and presenting is provided. Ethical considerations relevant to audio journalism are canvassed in the context of ‘quality’ journalism, with its roots in serving the public interest, objective scrutiny and fact-based reporting.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject should:
- Have a developed sense of what constitutes a broadcast news or current affairs story;
- Be able to compile, script, file and broadcast a broadcast news story, using audio tools,
- Be able to apply high level research and fact-checking skills to investigate news stories;
- Have developed practical skills for recording, editing and filing news and current affairs stories;
- Have developed expertise in interviews, and voicing scripts;
- Demonstrate a high-level of narrative story-telling and written and oral communication skills across news and current affairs audio and stories;
- Be equipped to critically reflect on challenges that journalists face across different media today and into the near future.
Students who successfully complete this subject should
- understand the fundamental principles for making critical and ethical judgments regarding professional journalism practice;
- be able to evaluate the dynamic processes of change operating in contemporary media and communication industries;
- demonstrate skills in journalistic research, analysis and interpretation;
- demonstrate skills in writing, reporting and communicating facts and ideas;
- demonstrate time management and planning skills through managing and organising workloads;\
- have acquired cultural and ethical understanding through reflection, reading and practical experience of journalists’ responsibilities;
- demonstrate an understanding of how to market their own ideas and successfully pursue careers in an increasingly diversified and transforming industry environment.
Last updated: 2 December 2019