|Fees||Look up fees|
In this subject students will learn essential skills of digital quantitative and qualitative media research. This will include how to use software tools to collect, clean and analyse social media data (please note: no programming or script writing skills are required). Such skills are widely used in companies, NGOs, governments and the like. Students will apply the skills to write a report on set topics. This subject will provide students with essential skills for careers in media and communications positions, such as audience research, PR, marketing and data journalism.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should have:
- the ability to collect, clean and analyse digital media data;
- an understanding of the benefits and restrictions of these methods;
- an understanding of how digital media research skills are used by employers;
- developed the ability to write critically on research methods;
- gained a critical understanding of research design, research methods and ethics; and
- developed the skills to undertake a piece of research using rigorous methods of inquiry.
At the completion of this subject, students should gain the following generic skills:
- Collect and analyse original digital media data;
- Understand the benefits and restrictions of these methods; and
- Synthesise, structure and critically engage with academic literature.
Last updated: 2 December 2019