For information on winter intensives that are being delivered partially or fully on campus, please refer to the COVID-19 page.
Term 3 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
Leadership in practice, as part of the Professional Certificate in Workplace Leadership, is designed to offer significant practical learning opportunities for a diverse range of early career professionals seeking to extend their business, managerial and leadership skills and knowledge. It is also suitable for emerging leaders, or those who have been promoted, or seek promotion and wish to develop their leadership capabilities to complement their technical knowledge and expertise, in order to get the most out of themselves and their teams.
Following the Foundations of Leadership subject, in Leadership in Practice, students will extend their development by learning and applying more advanced knowledge and skills in order to exercise and foster leadership within more complex organisational environments and systems. Drawing on theories and empirical evidence students will devise a plan to overcome a complex personal leadership conundrum. Students will also undertake more complex collaborative leadership challenges, in order to develop their critical analysis and strategic thinking, decision making, coaching and supporting skills.
This subject includes lectures with leading experts, case studies, leadership diagnostics, contemporary readings and resources, and facilitated group discussions.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Analyse a workplace scenario and critique examples of effective and ineffective leadership;
- Demonstrate the ability to listen, coach and support others to maximise their workplace performance;
- Work collaboratively to make decisions and solve a complex leadership challenge;
- Implement a personal leadership development plan;
- Interpret and apply new leadership skills and knowledge in the workplace;
- Reflect upon and evaluate his or her personal leadership development
On successful completion of this program, students should have enhanced their skills in:
- Systems thinking
- Self-knowledge and regulation
- Wise and effective decision making
- Taking values-based action
- Understanding good governance and business ethics
- Reflecting critically on their own learning and development
- Understanding and demonstrating ethical behaviour in leadership
- Analysis and problem solving
- Written and oral communication
- Giving and receiving effective feedback
- Strategic thinking and decision making.
- Effective teamwork and interdisciplinary collaboration (including online).
Last updated: 16 March 2020