|Fees||Look up fees|
Software is present in almost every part of our lives, and continues to change the world. Of importance to users is that software is correct, secure, reliable and efficient. The scale and complexity of most software ensures that achieving these qualities is non-trivial. This subject introduces students to the software engineering principles, processes, tools and techniques for analysing, measuring and developing correct, secure, and reliable software.
The subject is one of the foundation subjects for the MC-ENG Master of Engineering (Software) and (Software with Business).
Topics covered may include: methods for static and dynamic software testing; software security, quality and dependability; reliability measurement and engineering; performance measurement and engineering;software problem analysis and fault isolation; and software engineering tools.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Select appropriate methods to build in quality and dependability into software systems
- Select and apply effective testing techniques for verifying medium and large scale software systems
- Select and apply measures and models to evaluate the quality and dependability of a software system
- Work in a team to evaluate and apply different methods for quality and reliability of a software system.
On completion of this subject, students should have the following skills:
- An in-depth technical competence in the selection and application of methods to develop, measure and test quality of software systems
- The ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solution, both individually and as part of a team.
Last updated: 15 February 2020