Marketing is essential to the health of any profitable enterprise, whether in the public or private sector. Marketing allows you to manage a brand and contribute to an organisation’s business strategy. A major in marketing will provide you with the tools and skills you need to build relationships with your audience. You will learn how to research and evaluate market opportunities. You will learn how to create compelling value propositions for customers. We will teach you how to design products and communication campaigns that will engage and excite customers. And you will see the importance of putting the customer at the centre of everything the organisation does.
Teaching topics span the breadth of marketing education including advertising, product and brand management, strategic marketing, market research, service and relationship marketing, global marketing, digital marketing and consumer behaviour. Marketing studies offer vital skills and knowledge to underpin your career growth, whatever path you choose to take.
All students graduating with a Bachelor of Commerce majoring in marketing become Associate Members of the Australian Marketing Institute (AMI). Combined with some years of work experience and professional development, you may then become eligible for accreditation as a Certified Practicing Marketer (CPM).
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this major, students will be able to:
- Communicate an understanding of foundational knowledge in the Marketing discipline
- Apply knowledge of major theories, models and modes of analysis in the Marketing discipline to provide insight into complex, practical problems
- Adopt a critical approach to the access, evaluation and use of marketing information from diverse sources
- Critically review key theories, models and modes of analysis in the Marketing discipline
- Apply learning to suggest solutions to complex, practical problems relating to marketing
- Analyse marketing issues in an international context
- Contribute to debate about domestic and global societal issues using the knowledge and modes of analysis acquired through the Marketing major
- Communicate an understanding of theories, models and modes of analysis of selected areas of study outside the core discipline of marketing
Last updated: 19 February 2021