Mechatronics engineering blends the disciplines of mechanical, electrical and software engineering around the principles of control systems and automation. Mechatronic engineers create and work with systems that have various degrees of automation, which is increasingly a factor of everyday life with examples including robots, automobiles and CNC machines all featuring levels of computer control.
Intended learning outcomes
The objectives of the Master of Engineering (Mechatronics) are that graduates should:
- Have a sound fundamental understanding of the scientific principles underlying technology, which involves a robust knowledge base of mechanical, electrical and computer engineering, to provide an integrated view of engineering problems and solutions.
- Have acquired the mathematical and computational skills necessary for the solution of theoretical and practical engineering problems;
- Possess the ability for critical and systematic thinking in solving complex engineering problems; including basic research skill and an effective development skill within the engineering discipline;
- Possess a proficiency over systematic engineering design for complex and practical problems, with the understanding of application context and contributing factors, such as resource and project management, and sustainability;
- Demonstrate proficiency over established engineering methods and tools to solve practical engineering problems as well as the basic principles underlying the management of physical, human and financial resources.
- Have cultivated a sense of professional pride in the quality of their work: on the elegance, creativity, functionality, efficacy and the societal benefits of the outcome;
- Have developed professional ethics and responsibility towards the profession and the community; including a positive and responsible approach to safety, management of information and professional integrity;
- Have effective verbal and written communication skills that enable them to make a meaningful contribution to the changes facing our society;
- Possess the ability to conduct oneself as a professional, effective and proactive team member and the understanding of team leadership; as well as building a creative and innovative attitude.
Last updated: 19 July 2021