About this course
Intended learning outcomes
Demonstrate scientific knowledge
- Demonstrate advanced scientific knowledge, conceptual understanding and skills, and apply these capacities to address a research question and/or current issue;
- Articulate the methods of science, and explain why current scientific knowledge is both contestable and testable by further inquiry
Practise the skills required for scientific investigation
- Identify, manage and critically evaluate scientific information relevant to their own scientific investigation and/or scholarly debate;
- Demonstrate the skills required for the design, implementation, and review of a research project including problem-solving and critical interpretation of data;
- Identify and follow the principles of ethical scientific practice;
- Work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, in the planning and delivery of scientific studies;
- Communicate clearly, accurately and convincingly about science ideas, current practice and potential contributions;
Present scientific knowledge and investigation in context
- Articulate the international scope of science knowledge, practice and development and the contributions made by its diverse scholarly community;
- Explain the role of science in addressing current issues facing local and global communities, including the role of both fundamental and applied research in addressing real-world challenges.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Science (Degree with Honours) programs will have been provided with the opportunity to develop the skills to:
- Use and evaluate scientific literature;
- Apply their understanding to the design and implementation of a research plan;
- Acquire, analyse, evaluate and interpret data using appropriate techniques;
- Communicate advanced concepts in their discipline in written and oral form;
- Exercise responsibility for their own learning;
- Work effectively in teams, both collaboratively and independently;
- Manage their time effectively.
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) has the objective of preparing graduates who embody the University of Melbourne graduate attributes.
Last updated: 1 December 2023