- Specialist Certificate in Nursing Practice (Acute and Complex Care)
- Attributes, outcomes and skills
About this course
ContactMelbourne School of Professional and Continuing Education
Phone: + 61 3 8344 0149
Monday to Friday 8am to 9pm. Weekends and University of Melbourne observed Public Holidays 10am to 5pm.Further information: https://study.unimelb.edu.au/find/courses/graduate/specialist-certificate-in-nursing-practice/
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of the Specialist Certificate in Nursing Practice, graduates will have:
- Specialised theoretical and technical knowledge, including demonstrating the ability to acquire and apply new knowledge in nursing practice;
- Cognitive skills to review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise new and existing knowledge and identify and provide solutions to complex problems;
- Cognitive skills to think critically and to generate and evaluate complex ideas;
- Specialised technical and evidence-based knowledge to inform nursing practice;
- A high level of verbal and written communication skills to demonstrate an understanding of theoretical concepts;
- The cognitive skills to understand and critically appraise evidence-based research to inform nursing practice;
- Increased capacity to develop problem-solving and analytically skills.
- Increased confidence when facing unfamiliar problems and an increased capacity to problem-solve and mange patient-related problems.
- Increased ability to articulate their knowledge and understanding in written modes of communication
- Increased ability to critically analyse and evaluate research and professional literature in the area of health.
Graduates from the Specialist Certificate in Nursing Practice are aligned with those of The Melbourne Graduate; and further distinguished by the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF), Level 8.
The Melbourne Graduate
- The University of Melbourne educational experience prepares well-rounded graduate who are academically outstanding, practically grounded and socially responsible. Melbourne's graduates are distinguished by their broad outlook and openness to different perspectives. Melbourne's degrees develop research and reasoning skills that equip graduates to be influential citizens with high leadership potential. The University's graduates engage with national and global issues and are attuned to social and cultural diversity. They have high levels of self-awareness and value their personal integrity and well-being.
- A Melbourne degree provides graduates with in-depth knowledge of their specialist disciplines and skills in examining issues with multiple disciplinary perspectives. Melbourne graduates are critical, creative thinkers with strong reasoning skills. They can apply knowledge, information and research skills to complex problems in a range of contexts and are effective oral and written communicators. The Melbourne educational experience prepares graduates to be entrepreneurial and innovative thought-leaders. Melbourne graduates bring research and inquiry skills to challenges in their workplaces and communities. They are adept lifelong learners who generate bold and novel ideas by critically evaluating alternative possibilities and viewpoints.
- Melbourne graduates have engaged with contemporary local, national and global issues and developed an appreciation of the Asian region. They have a high regard for human rights, social inclusion, ethics and the environment. Melbourne graduates are aware of the social and cultural diversity in communities and can work collaboratively with people from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds. In particular, they have an understanding of and deep respect for Indigenous knowledge, culture and values. The Melbourne experience supports a commitment to civic service in graduates' lives and careers, equipping them to be active, well-informed citizens who make substantial contributions to society. Graduates have the potential to be leaders in their professions and communities, with the capacity to work effectively across disciplines and cultures. Through advocacy and innovation they are able to lead change for a sustainable future.
Integrity and self-awareness
- Melbourne graduates are motivated, self-directed and well-organised, with the ability to set goals and manage time and priorities. They are able to work effectively both independently and in groups. They are also highly self-aware and reflective, with skills in self-assessment, and place great importance on their personal and professional integrity. The opportunities offered by the Melbourne experience help prepare graduates who are enthusiastic, self-assured and confident of their knowledge, yet flexible, adaptable and aware of their limitations. Melbourne's graduates are willing to explore, experiment and learn from mistakes. They have empathy and concern for the welfare of others and can manage their own well-being.
Last updated: 17 July 2021