Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 1 - Dual-Delivery
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject provides a coverage of the different systems significant in the design of buildings, which are described in terms of 3 interlocking systems: human, mechanical and natural systems.
- Concepts of environmental comfort: heat, light and sound
- Occupational Health, Safety and Environment
- Post-Occupancy Evaluation
- energy efficiency, alternative energy sources and energy management
- active solar heating and cooling systems;
- electrical, telecommunications, transportation and building management systems;
- air-conditioning system designs; refrigeration, heating and air handling plants;
- façade design, natural ventilation and mixed mode systems;
- displacement ventilation, evaporative cooling and radiant cooling systems;
- special servicing conditions
- acoustical design and noise control
- passive design techniques for buildings
- waste and water treatment techniques, WSUD (water sensitive urban design)
- green infrastructure and ecological services
- integrated greenery – green roofs and vertical greenery
Sustainable building standards like Green Star and NABERS will also be introduced and used in the discourse of the lectures.
Intended learning outcomes
Having completed this unit the student is expected to:
- Have a fundamental knowledge of issues related to sustainable building design;
- Understand relative importance of human, mechanical and natural system as they apply to building construction;
- Demonstrate familiarity with issues such as : concepts of environmental comfort, post-occupancy evaluation, mechanical system efficiency; and passive design techniques.
On completion of the subject students should have developed the following skills and capabilities:
• Knowledge of technical terms and ability to communicate with specialized consultants in the environmentally sustainable design of buildings
• An understanding of sustainability issues relating to the work of specialized consultants
• An understanding of integrated environmental systems in building design
Last updated: 4 September 2021