Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
September - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject provides a multi-disciplinary overview of the design of sustainable buildings and considers the design from an architectural, services engineering, facade engineering, environmental engineering and structural engineering, tenants and owners perspective. Topics include: ecological sustainable design, life cycle analysis, planning for sustainable buildings and cities, regulatory environment, barriers to green buildings, green building rating tools, material selection, embodied energy, operating energy, indoor environmental quality (noise, light and air), facade systems, ventilation systems, transportation, water treatment systems, water efficiency, building economics, and staff productivity.
A number of industry based case study examples will be introduced to complement the lectures.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion, students should be able to:
- Identify the critical sustainability issues that should be addressed in planning a building or new development;
- Estimate the green star rating of a new building;
- Identify the issues effecting indoor environmental quality;
- Select different heating and cooling ventilation systems and justify the selection;
- Calculate the embodied energy of different structural systems including recycled materials and facade systems;
- Calculate the utilisation energy and greenhouse gas production of different building conceptual designs;
- Carry out conceptual designs for the design of a water supply system for a building with a focus on water conservation and recycling measures and estimate the expected water consumption requirement;
- Undertake cost studies of different green star rated buildings using life cycle cost analysis techniques.
- Self-directed learning.
- Written, verbal and visual presentation of ideas.
- Essay and report writing.
- Graphic communication skills.
- Ability to analyse social and cultural contexts.
- Critical thinking and analysis.
- Appropriate use of design terminology.
Last updated: 21 July 2021