Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 2 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject examines the principles and procedures for effective contract management from both clients’ and contractors’ perspectives. Practices and techniques of planning and managing a contract through to a successful conclusion are presented.
Topics include: development of legal framework for project delivery (contract formation – principles and philosophies of contract drafting); contract negotiation techniques and execution; contract performance, monitoring and enforcement; managing project close-out; relationship management during the construction phase; project procurement and allocation of risks; payment systems; contractual responsibilities and liabilities imposed by general conditions of contracts; construction delay claims management; conflict and dispute management.
The subject also examines alliancing and partnering contracts, performance-based contracts as well as contract management in the context of BIM-based projects.
Contract management software applications are used where applicable.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Interpret, explain and compare the obligations and responsibilities imposed by selected general conditions of contracts used locally and internationally.
- Identify potential situations which may have legal consequences and negatively impact upon the project delivery outcomes.
- Analyse the complex and interrelated issues associated with contract management and identify when to seek professional advice on a project.
- Manage and control the contractual environment of projects.
- Identify, prepare, and analyse extension of time claims as well as explain the management and legal principles involved.
- Differentiate and explain various conflicts and dispute resolution processes.
At the completion of the subject students should have developed the following skills and capabilities:
- Work effectively with other professionals on a project;
- Team building;
- Critical thinking and problem solving;
- Adapt to and work effectively in different contract environments, both locally and internationally.
Last updated: 8 May 2021