Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location in first half year 2021.
Semester 2 - Dual-Delivery
|Fees||Look up fees|
Application to the design of chemical equipment. Design of fluid storage and transfer equipment; pressure and non-pressure vessels, pumps and compressors, nozzles, piping, valves. Design of other operational units commonly used in chemical plants; heat exchangers, solid handling devices, fluid processing units. Hydraulic aspects of plate distillation column, packed columns, fluidised beds. Safety and integrity of equipment; safe working stress. Design standards and codes of practice. Flow sheets, plant layout; equipment, piping and site layouts.
To be able to conduct technical design of process equipment such as: pressure vessels, non-pressure vessels, compressors, heat exchangers, plate distillation columns, packed absorption columns, fluidised beds. To be able to design and layout pipelines. To be able to select valves and pumps. To be familiar with general concepts of process equipment design so that other process equipment, not covered in this subject, can be designed. To be able to design equipment safely. To be able to design equipment in compliance with regulations and standards. To be able to design equipment in an economically efficient manner. To be able to produce equipment specification sheets and equipment drawings. To be able to develop and draw process flow sheets and plant layouts.
This subject has been integrated with the Skills Towards Employment Program (STEP) and contains activities that can assist in the completion of the Engineering Practice Hurdle (EPH).
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Understand the principles of process equipment design, the mechanical aspects of the design operation of process equipment, including safety considerations
- Design several different unit operations in detail
- Develop process flow sheets and design process layouts of equipment and pipelines in chemical process plants
- Prepare equipment drawings and equipment specification sheets.
- Capacity for independent thought
- Awareness of advanced technologies in the discipline
- Ability to apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solution
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to design and operational performance.
Last updated: 8 May 2021