Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location in first half year 2021.
|Fees||Look up fees|
This is a geotechnical engineering elective subject in which student will be introduced to various geotechnical engineering applications topics, including the design of shallow and deep foundations, common issues in foundation construction, site characterization and rock slope assessment, tunneling and earth dam designs and numerical Modelling in Geotechnics. This practically oriented elective subject builds on the fundamental material learned earlier in ENEN20002 Earth Processes for Engineering and CVEN30010 System Modelling and Design, and fully integrates with the knowledge gained from the two core subjects CVEN90044 Engineering Site Characterisation and CVEN90050 Geotechnical Engineering. This subject is of particular interest to students intending to establish a career in geotechnical engineering; it is also relevant to a range of engineering disciplines in which a good knowledge of geotechnical engineering offers an advantage.
Shallow foundations - bearing capacity and settlement; Piled foundations - types, function, bearing capacity and settlement; Site characterization – Planning and implementation of a site investigation, Rock slope assessment – Apply the theories of rock slope engineering on actual problems, Tunneling- Site investigation and initiation of a tunneling project, Earth dams – key aspects of earth dams analysis and design; numerical Modelling in Geotechnics – Application of numerical techniques in geotechnical engineering practice
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Analyze for both the bearing capacity and settlement characteristics of foundations subjected to a variety of loadings
- Planning and implementation of a site investigation
- Apply the theories of rock slope engineering on actual problems
- Appreciate the key aspects of earth dams design and analysis
- Site investigation and initiation of a tunneling project
- Application of numerical techniques in geotechnical engineering practice
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation, and solution
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to complex problems and to design and operational performance
- Ability to manage information and documentation
- Understanding environmental responsibilities and the need for sustainable development
- Critical thinking and judgement
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to function effectively as an individual with the capacity to be an effective team member.
Last updated: 11 February 2021