Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
February - Online
February - Online
Semester 2 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
Taught in tandem with Effective Clinical Teaching, this subject provides participants with a foundation in the principles and practices of vocational supervision that are unique to the health professions. Effective Clinical Supervision takes the theories and principles studied in the co-requisite subject and applies them to clinically-qualified learners who are further developing their career as a health professional. A diverse range of learning activities will dovetail with those provided in Effective Clinical Teaching to emphasise the similarities and differences between education and training. An intensive option will appeal to clinicians requiring greater flexibility.
Modalities will include lectures (1 hour), seminars or symposia (1 hour) and small group work (2 hours).
Intended learning outcomes
By completing this subject, participants should:
- develop a critical understanding of the principles of effective clinical supervision, instruction and assessment of competence;
- know the basis of the most salient research that underpins clinical supervision and the key debates in this field;
- be familiar with resources and techniques available to support clinical supervisors in their workplace and know how to use them most effectively;
- develop a trainee-centred approach to clinical supervision and training;
- understand the variety of clinical training opportunities that exist and the different approaches to safe and effective supervision that can be used within them;
- demonstrate an analytical and reflective approach to their clinical supervision activities and a recognition of their professional responsibilities in this area.
After completing this subject, participants should be able to:
- apply theories and principles to specific clinical supervision contexts;
- access and use relevant research literature;
- identify best practice in safe and effective clinical supervision;
- demonstrate understanding of the subject in concise oral and written formats.
Last updated: 8 May 2021