Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location in first half year 2021.
Semester 1 - Online
Semester 2 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject emphasises the critical nature of Operations Management as an essential part of a competent engineer’s portfolio of knowledge and skills.
- Clarifying how the core concepts of operations management (including both processes and projects) help organisations achieve sustainable competitive advantage
- Managing the integration of technology, people, functions and operating systems to support the complex processes underlying the development and manufacture of products and the creation and delivery of services
- How organisations develop their core processes and project management capabilities and manage through them and how new technologies alter their design and performance. Relevant issues include process ownership, project management skills, teamwork, stakeholder management and communication, performance measurement and change management concepts.
Intended learning outcomes
This subject aims to highlight the skills and competencies needed by engineers to ensure their ongoing contribution to an organisation’s operations and competitive position. These include:
- The role of Operations Management in various types of organisations and how leading organisations leverage this discipline as a sustainable source of competitive advantage
- Project and process management models and frameworks
- How to decompose and map an organisation's core processes along the value chain and understand the role of new technology in process management
- The role and structure of performance measurement systems
- Managing the human capital in organisations and the role of teams in operations management.
On completion of this subject, students should:
- Have an awareness of how business functions can be systematically integrated with strategic objectives by focusing on the provision of value to customers.
- Be able to assume a supporting role in managing projects and processes in organisations of all types including technology intensive organisations.
- Understand how change management programs can be integrated into an organisational wide improvement and performance management framework.
- Be able to identify the fundamental drivers of sustainable organisational excellence.
- Have the capacity to engage with current issues of significance in business and management.
- Have an in-depth understanding of the importance and nature of performance measurement systems.
Last updated: 8 May 2021