Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 1 - Online
Semester 2 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject meets the curriculum content requirements of the National Immunisation Education Framework for Health Professionals. It focuses on the theory and practical components of adult and childhood immunisations and includes:
- an overview of the public health issues related to immunisation
- clinical issues relevant to nurses providing immunisation including vaccines included in the National Immunisation Program
- the storage and handling of vaccines including cold chain management
- regulatory requirements relating to the administration of vaccines by registered nurses.
In addition to the content required to be recognised as a Nurse Immuniser in Victoria, preventive health information related to travel is included in this subject. This information is intended to be used in travel consultations provided in partnership with a General Practitioner. Nurse Immunisers are not independently authorised to administer vaccinations for travel.
Important: The theory component of this course is provided online. Students must organise a clinical placement with a suitable preceptor. This may be in the students own workplace (providing assessment requirements can be met) or a community venue such as a municipal council. It is recommended that students check the availability of placements before enrolling in this subject. A list of preceptors is provided in the 'links to further information' section.
Intended learning outcomes
At the completion of this subject the students should be able to
- Discuss the principles of disease control in a population.
- Store and administer adult and childhood vaccines in a safe manner as indicated by the Australian Immunisation Handbook.
- Describe the health issues relevant to people travelling overseas and provide evidence based preventive measures to maintain optimum health whilst travelling.
- Meet the standards to be able to register as a Nurse Immuniser with the appropriate Nursing Regulatory Bodies in Victoria
At the completion of this subject, students should be able to demonstrate:
- An ability to plan strategies for improving the management of information in the workplace
- An ability to work with colleagues to develop best practice in the delivery of programs
Last updated: 8 May 2021