Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 1 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject is offered in the form of a seminar which introduces research methods and materials in different specialised fields within the three core areas of Germanic studies: literature, linguistics, and cultural studies. The topics of the seminars include a range of representative texts, authors and approaches in the key areas of German literature, linguistics and cultural studies. By choosing one of the seminars, students will gain both an introduction to research methods and materials in Germanic studies and familiarity with a specialist field. Students should develop the ability to approach specific problems in a chosen area of interest through the critical use of sophisticated oral and written German.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- have been introduced to research methods and materials in the academic discipline of Germanic studies and be able to critically reflect on and confidently make use of such methods and materials;
- have been introduced to a special field in at least one of the three core areas of literature, linguistic and cultural studies;
- have demonstrated a critical appreciation of the subject matter in that field , both from the internal viewpoint of the German-speaking area of Europa and from an external Australian viewpoint and the capability of finding and critically analysing research literature on it in both German and English;
- have gained an appreciation of academic German as well as research and analytical skills in the fields of interest chosen through the confident use of sophisticated oral and written German at level B2/C1 of the Common European Framework for Languages;
- have acquired public speaking skills (relative to entry level) through seminar discussion and class presentations;
- have learned to do self-directed small research projects in the field of German Studies at a high level of organisation and analysis.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- have developed written and oral communication skills as well as an understanding of the social, historical and cultural context of the topics under discussion.
Last updated: 27 October 2021