Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject comprises two modules:
Ethics and Professional Practice: Policies that affect oral health practice, dental professional practice regulation and legislation, the principles and application of ethics to health care and human research, privacy, record keeping and health consumer issues; ethics and professional practice.
Applied Health Education: School curriculum frameworks, settings and strategies for health education, educational technology and aids for oral health and applied health education experience via in-class practical sessions and field visits.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Work effectively with individuals and groups to improve health literacy and promote their oral health;
- Plan, deliver and evaluate oral health education for community groups;
- Use culturally sensitive approaches in communication and health promotion;
- Apply ethical principles to the practice of oral health therapy
- Use a research framework to plan for the oral health therapy research project undertaken in third year.
- The characteristics of health education programs and their evaluation;
- The role of health education as a component of health promotion;
and the principles of:
- Teaching methodologies and their application to health education;
- The evaluation of health education interventions; and
- The role of regulations, ethics and education in influencing the practice of oral health therapy.
- The capacity to communicate with people and the community to identify and address health education needs;
and an understanding of:
- The techniques for planning, delivery, and evaluation of a variety of health education activities; and
- policies that shape oral health therapy practice
- the legislation governing the practice of oral health therapy
- ethical principles and their application.
- The dimensions of health education and health promotion within the delivery of dental, medical, allied health, and educational services; and
The concepts of ethical and professional practice and the responsibilities of health practitioners in the community.
On completion of this subject, students should have developed skills in:
- Conflict resolution and management of people;
- Preparation of research proposal;
- Planning, delivery and evaluation of programs; and
- Professional practice and ethics.
Last updated: 11 February 2021