Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location in first half year 2021.
Semester 2 (Extended)
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject provides students with an opportunity to integrate prior knowledge of anatomy, physiology and neuroscience with theoretical and evidence based knowledge in the management of individuals with neurological conditions. The emphasis of this subject is development of a clinical reasoning framework for the assessment and management of individuals with neurological conditions within the International Classification of Functioning model. The selection and justification of assessment and management for individuals with neurological conditions will be informed by research findings from basic science and applied clinical research. Consideration will also be given to the rights of individuals with neurological conditions and the impact of team management processes in neurological physiotherapy practice.
Intended learning outcomes
The curriculum for the DPT program has been designed around 5 Learning Outcomes.
- Apply a theoretical clinical reasoning framework to integrate prior knowledge of anatomy, physiology and neuroscience and condition specific information to select, justify and safely assess impairments and activity limitations, and interpret assessment findings in the management of individuals with neurological conditions;
- Apply assessment findings and knowledge of the individual and their environment to propose, justify and demonstrate safe and effective physiotherapeutic interventions addressing impairments and activity limitations in individuals with neurological conditions;
- To apply research findings from basic science and applied clinical research in the selection and justification of assessment and management in individuals with neurological conditions;
- To identify and consider the rights of individuals with neurological conditions including their autonomy, dignity and privacy through case examples; and
- To discuss the roles of the physiotherapist and the other multidisciplinary team members in the management of individuals with neurological conditions.
By the completion of this subject, students will have had the opportunity to develop the following generic skills:
- Development of skills in practical thinking, clinical reasoning and clinical decision making;
- An appreciation of the importance of a team approach in working with colleagues;
- Critically use decision-making skills with an awareness of the factors that inform their decisions.
Last updated: 26 February 2021