Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Term 4 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject looks at the ways in which recent technological advancements can revolutionise the experience, management and future of ageing. Innovations in how we age are explored from multiple perspectives, including how technology can support autonomy and independent living as well as social connectedness to minimise the isolation common in later life.
The subject offers an introduction to the aged care information technology industry and major products and services. Controversial improvements in assistive technologies are covered, such as robotics and sensors that monitor behaviour and health conditions. Lastly, this subject considers technologies for end-of-life support, for longevity and for regenerative medicine. This subject opens up challenges and possibilities for ageing that have implications for older adults, health practitioners, caregivers, service providers, policymakers and researchers.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an informed understanding of the challenges and opportunities that various technologies bring for the health and wellbeing of older people by critically discussing and analysing recent technological advances.
- Show a critical appreciation of older people’s differing perspectives on how technologies are empowering or disempowering in their social and economic lives based on exploration of real world cases.
- Critically evaluate existing or emerging technology products and services that are designed to be used specifically by older people, their care-givers or aged care providers.
Students will be provided with the opportunity to practice and reinforce:
- the ability to identify, analyse and evaluate relevant information
- high level written communication skills
- the ability to work collaboratively with team members
- advanced analytic, integration and problem-solving skills
Last updated: 11 February 2021