The Art History program is the premier provider of art historical scholarship in Australia. Thematic and interdisciplinary subjects deal with the theories of art history, art and the market, prints, and other issues. Areas of specialisation include late antiquity, Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, 18th and 19th century European art, modernism and postmodernism, contemporary art, Indigenous Australian art, and international art.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who complete this minor will:
- Develop broad critical knowledge and understanding about the field of art history;
- Acquire competency in the main concepts and issues developed in the discipline of art history;
- Develop the confidence to produce conceptually and empirically informed analyses of art and the issues surrounding its production, circulation and interpretation;
- Develop an understanding of the role of the visual arts within different cultures and societies;
- Understand the importance of an independent approach to knowledge that uses rigorous methods of art historical inquiry and appropriate theories and methodologies that are applied with intellectual honesty and a respect for ethical values.
Last updated: 12 April 2022