Bachelor of MusicMajorYear: 2022
You’re currently viewing the 2022 version of this component
Students currently admitted in this course:
The Composition major provides a carefully designed sequence of projects, building technique and craft in the service of articulating an emerging individual voice.
Students learn skills in writing for instrumental, vocal and electronic media, as well as how to communicate musical ideas clearly and fluently.
Students may major in Composition from first year, or apply to transfer from Performance after year 1.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this major, students should be able to:
- situate their creative practice and aesthetic position in the contemporary compositional context;
- synthesize influences from diverse musical sources in their compositional practice;
- engage critically and productively in aesthetic dialogue within the new music community;
- apply a fluent and flexible technique to musical composition;
- collaborate effectively with other musicians on their work;
- uphold rigorous intellectual and ethical standards in composition planning, preparation and documentation;
- make confident and idiomatic compositional use of sonic resources – vocal, instrumental and electronic;
- apply critical intelligence, self-reflection and creative problem-solving to their development as composers.
Last updated: 12 November 2022