Bachelor of ScienceMajorYear: 2022
Dr Nathan Ross
The major in Data Science has an emphasis on statistics and computer science. It provides a strong foundation in the statistical aspects of data analysis (data collection, data mining, modelling and inference), as well as the principles of computer science (algorithms, data structures, data management and machine learning).The major is designed to give students an intellectual understanding of how to integrate and apply statistical and computing principles to solve large scale, real-world data science problems. It is suitable for students interested in a career in government or industry or who wish to pursue specialised graduate study.
NOTE - Students undertaking this major may not be concurrently admitted to the Diploma in Informatics (D-INFO), Diploma in Computing (D-COMP), or Diploma in Mathematical Sciences (D-MATHSC).
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this major, students are expected to:
- Demonstrate the ability to understand data deeply, including measurement issues, study design, data collection principles and the management of data
- Construct logical, clearly presented and justified arguments, based on data science principles
- Be committed to continuous learning
- Demonstrate the capacity to analyse complex data analysis problems, then choose and apply appropriate statistical analysis and machine learning techniques to identify patterns, make predictions and draw inferences
- Be skilled in the evaluation and synthesis of information from a range of data types and sources, including 'big data', and know how to apply this skill to understand the international peer-reviewed scientific literature and primary research in data science and disciplines relevant to data science
- Communicate finding from data science clearly and effectively, including to an audience with a diverse background in sciences
- Act as informed and critically discriminating participants within the community of scholars, as citizens, and in the work force
- Understand the applicability of data science in addressing issues of importance facing humankind
- Demonstrate the awareness of ethical implications relevant to the use of data, and particularly 'big data'
- Work effectively and responsibly both as an individual and as part of a team.
Last updated: 12 November 2022