The Department of Medicine Honours program is designed to offer projects at the leading edge of medical research into human diseases especially tailored for students who are not enrolled in Medicine. Each project tackles a specific translational medicine problem so that it is directly relevant to a major human disease and is performed in collaboration with research scientists at the leading edge their fields. The projects are designed so that they can be completed within the one year honours program and also to provide a direct conduit to higher degree studies.
Most students start their studies at the beginning of Semester one (February), although mid-year entry (August) is also a possibility.
Intended learning outcomes
Graduates of the Medicine (Royal Melbourne Hospital) Honours program will be able to:
- Locate, utilise and synthesise information available in scientific and medical literature and ensure an understanding of experimental data in order to construct a rational scientific argument.
- Design and conduct research, including selection and implementation of experimental models and methods, data collection methods, and statistical analysis methods
- Master required technical laboratory skills and generate research data addressing the aetiology, mechanisms, diagnosis and/or treatment of disease.
- Generate research data utilising cutting edge technical approaches and methodologies in translational research.
- Articulate scientific explanations of human disease concepts, theories and research findings, and communicate these ideas effectively to various audiences in both written and oral formats.
- Apply principles of intellectual integrity and the ethics of scholarship, including identifying and following the principles of ethical conduct of research with animals and humans.
- Show proficiency in time management for completion of scientific tasks against set deadlines.
- Work effectively independently, and collaboratively under supervision within a research team from diverse backgrounds.
Last updated: 12 November 2022