This specialisation of the Graduate Certificate allows students who have completed an undergraduate degree to refocus or expand their body of knowledge by completing the requirements of the Discrete Mathematics / Operations Research specialisation in the Mathematics and Statistics major of the Bachelor of Science. It provides a pathway into the Master of Science (Mathematics and Statistics).
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of this specialisation, students should be able to:
- Construct detailed, logical, clearly presented and justified arguments;
- Formulate and model practical and abstract problems in mathematics, including the use of information technology where appropriate;
- Solve complex problems through the Identification and application of appropriate mathematical tools;
- Communicate advanced mathematical ideas to an audience with a heterogeneous background in sciences;
- Utilise a broad range of mathematical methods, with a particular emphasis on discrete mathematics and operations research;
- Investigate the universal utility of mathematics within all fields of science;
- Explain how mathematics is a discipline based on rigorous proofs and logical deduction.
Last updated: 13 April 2022