The need is greater than ever for critical, innovative and culturally sensitive science, mathematics and numeracy learning. This Master of Education specialisation will help you develop the understanding, skills and confidence to lead science, mathematics and numeracy learning and learn innovative approaches to teaching and communicating these subjects in ways that lift engagement and performance. Also, you will explore interdisciplinary perspectives from across the world and discover how to strengthen connections between science and mathematics education across the curriculum.
You’ll be able to choose at least 4 out of 6 subjects available to qualify for this Specialisation, depending on your interests, and whether you want to focus more on mathematics or science education. Subjects include teaching science and mathematics through digital technologies and in connection with other disciplines such as engineering or focus on communication and learning that takes place outside the school environment. You’ll gain an understanding of how these approaches require fundamental reconsideration of the goals of science and mathematics education, their curricula and approaches to pedagogy and assessment.
Please note: this specialisation is available within the Master of Education and is not a separate course. The regular Master of Education CRICOS code applies.
Intended learning outcomesOn completion of this specialisation, students should be able to:
- Critically analyse educational theories, public debates, policies and practice that are relevant to science, mathematics, and numeracy
- Evaluate the social, cultural, and philosophical contexts informing science and mathematics education and communication
- Apply specific theoretical understanding and knowledge of current research, debates, policies and practices to critique and evaluate specific science and mathematics education and communication units and curricula
- Integrate and apply theories and evidence from different disciplinary areas in relation to the design of science and mathematics education and communication units and programs
- (Re-)design science and mathematics education and communication educational units and programs, applying theory-based design principles for effective education
Last updated: 12 November 2022