Bachelor of Arts (Extended) (B-ARTSEXT) // Majors, minors and specialisations
You’re currently viewing the 2022 version of this course
About this course
- Entry and participation requirements
- Attributes, outcomes and skills
- Course structure
- Majors, minors and specialisations
- Further study
Professor Véronique Duché
- General information: https://ask.unimelb.edu.au
- Contact Stop 1
- Further information: https://futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au
Majors, minors & specialisations
Majors & Minors
Students must complete at least one major. A major usually consists of 100 points of study within a single discipline comprising:
- Two subjects (25 points) at level 1 (this may include the Arts Discovery subject in non-language majors/minors)
- Three subjects (37.5 points) at level 2
- Three subjects (37.5 points) at level 3 (including a capstone subject for non-language majors)
Variations to Major requirements
- Students who undertake a major in Chinese Studies from entry point 1 (beginners level) must complete ten Chinese subjects (125 points) taken as Arts discipline subjects.
- Students who undertake a major in Psychology must complete ten Psychology subjects (125 points) comprising eight subjects (100 points) taken as Arts discipline subjects and two subjects (25 points) at later years taken as breadth (12.50 at level 2 and 12.50 points at level 3).
- Students who undertake a major in Economics will complete nine Economics subjects (112.5 points) comprising three subjects (37.5 points) taken as Arts discipline and six subjects (75 points) taken as breadth.
- Students may complete a maximum of two majors.
- Students may take no more than ten subjects (125 points) in any one discipline area.
- Subjects cannot be credited to more than one major or minor. Students planning to complete two BA majors must complete two separate majors with no overlap in subjects.
- It is not possible to complete a major and a minor in the same area of study.
Students may complete one minor. A minor consists of 75 points of study within a single discipline comprising:
- Two subjects (25 points) at level 1
- Two subjects (25 points) at level 2
- Two subjects (25 points) at level 3
Capstone subjects are not available in the minor.
Available Majors and Minors
For the list of available Majors and Minors, along with their structures and subject options, please see the Handbook page for the Bachelor of Arts (B-ARTS).
Last updated: 12 November 2022