From 2023 most subjects will be taught on campus only with flexible options limited to a select number of postgraduate programs and individual subjects.
To learn more, visit COVID-19 course and subject delivery.
Summer Term - Dual-Delivery
Semester 1 - Dual-Delivery
Semester 2 - Dual-Delivery
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject is for Exchange students requiring a one semester project and for PhD students to complete a one semester project with an external, industrial client.
The subject involves undertakeing a substantial project requiring and independent investigation on an approved topic in Advanced Engineering design or research.
The emphasis of the project can be associated with either
- A well-defined project description, often based on a task required by an external, industrial client. Students will be tutored in the synthesis of practical solutions to complex technical problems within a structured working environment, as if they were professional engineering practitioners; or
- A project description that will require an explorative approach, where students will pursue outcomes associated with new knowledge or understanding, often as an adjunct to existing academic research inititatives.
It is expected that the project will incorporate findings associated with both well-defined professional practice and research principles.
Intended learning outcomes
On completing this subject, the student should be able to:
- Search, analyse and document engineering science and other relevant literature in order to determine the need for further research in a chosen area;
- Devise a methodology of investigation to improve knowledge or understanding of a chose topic;
- Collect and analyse a range of data (both qualitative and quantitative) to improve our collective understanding of a chosen topic;
- Write a project report that follows good engineering science practice;
- Present an oral presentation of the findings of an investigation to an audience of peers or lay people.
On completion of this subject students should have developed the following generic skills:
- Critical thinking and critical judgement of assumptions adopted
- Interpretation and analysis of data
- Application of theory to practice
- Ability to communicate effectively, not only with engineers but also with the community at large
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to design and operational performance
- Ability to function effectively as an individual and in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams, with the capacity to be a leader or manager as well as an effective team member
- Understanding of the social, cultural, global and environmental responsibilities of the professional engineer, and the need for sustainable development
- Understanding the principles of sustainable design and development
- Understanding the professional and ethical responsibilities and commitment to them
- Capacity for independent critical thought, rational inquiry and self-directed learning
- Openness to new ideas and unconventional critiques of received wisdom
- Ability to apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solution
Last updated: 12 November 2022