From 2023 most subjects will be taught on campus only with flexible options limited to a select number of postgraduate programs and individual subjects.
To learn more, visit COVID-19 course and subject delivery.
Semester 2 - Dual-Delivery
|Fees||Look up fees|
This is an advanced language subject for honours students in Indonesian. The level of study, content, and assessment in the subject will be determined by the Coordinator after placement testing and/or consultation with the students. Students will either be placed in an appropriate stream of advanced language study, a customised course of study, or if deemed necessary they will be recommended to take alternative subjects from other Schools that would be significantly relevant to their thesis research.
Intended learning outcomes
- further develop their language abilities, focusing on research skills necessary for thesis writing
- gain a greater appreciation of textual styles and discourse as related to their area of interest in Indonesian Studies
- develop a deeper understanding of intellectual debates that have arisen in key topics in Indonesian language research
- develop research skills through frequent and systematic use of the library and other information sources, the definition of areas of inquiry, and familiarisation with research methods
- be trained in critical thinking and analysis through required and recommended reading, essay writing and tutorial discussion, and by assessing the arguments expressed in the reading materials
- learn to think in theoretical and analytical terms: through lectures, tutorial discussion, essay writing and engagement in the methodologies of the humanities and social sciences.
- acquire an understanding of social, political, historical and cultural contexts and an international awareness of the world. They will do so by developing critical self-awareness, contextualising judgements and knowledge, opening themselves to new ideas and new aspects of Indonesian culture, and formulating arguments
- be able to communicate knowledge clearly and economically, through essay and assignment writing, tutorial discussion and class presentations. They will be trained to give attention to detail through close reading, textual analysis, and essay writing. The class presentations and tutorial participation will train them in public speaking and enhance their confidence in self-expression
- learn to plan and manage their time through organising their workloads for required reading and meeting deadlines for essays and assignments
Last updated: 29 July 2022