- Master of Philosophy - Architecture, Building and Planning
- Attributes, outcomes and skills
Master of Philosophy - Architecture, Building and Planning (MR-PHILABP) // Attributes, outcomes and skills
About this course
- Visit: https://msd.unimelb.edu.au/graduate-research-programs
- Enquires : https://msd.unimelb.edu.au/entry-requirements-and-eligibility
Associate Dean – Research
Melbourne School of Design
Intended learning outcomes
Research degrees at the University of Melbourne seek to develop graduates who demonstrate academic leadership, increasing independence, creativity and innovation in their research work. Graduates of the Master of Philosophy– Architecture Building and Planning should have:
- A body of knowledge that includes the understanding of recent developments in one or more disciplines.
- Advanced knowledge of research principles and methods applicable to the field of work or learning.
- Cognitive skills to demonstrate mastery of theoretical knowledge and to reflect critically on theory and its application.
- Cognitive, technical and creative skills to investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theories and to apply established theories to different bodies of knowledge or practice.
- Cognitive, technical and creative skills to generate and evaluate complex ideas and concepts at an abstract level.
- Cognitive and technical skills to design, use and evaluate research and research methods.
- Communication and technical skills to present a coherent and sustained argument and to disseminate research results to specialist and non specialist audiences.
- Technical and communication skills to design, evaluate, implement, analyse, theorise and disseminate research that makes a contribution to knowledge.
- Creativity and initiative to approach new situations and/or for further learning.
- High level personal autonomy and accountability to plan and execute a substantial piece of research.
Research degrees at the University of Melbourne seek to develop graduates who demonstrate academic leadership, increasing independence, creativity and innovation in their research work.The University provides a variety of opportunities in addition to the supervised research program, to facilitate a students' acquisition of these attributes.
Graduates of the Master of Philosophy – Architecture Building and Planning should have:
- an advanced ability to initiate research and to formulate viable research questions;
- a demonstrated capacity to design, conduct and report sustained and original research;
- the capacity to contextualise research within an international corpus of specialist knowledge;
- an advanced ability to evaluate and synthesize research-based and scholarly literature;
- an advanced understanding of key disciplinary and multi-disciplinary norms and perspectives relevant to the field;
- highly developed problem-solving abilities and flexibility of approach;
- the ability to analyse critically within and across a changing disciplinary environment;
- the capacity to disseminate the results of research and scholarship by oral and written communication to a variety of audiences;
- a capacity to cooperate with and respect the contributions of fellow researchers and scholars;
- a profound respect for truth and intellectual integrity, and for the ethics of research and scholarship;
- an advanced facility in the management of information, including the application of computer systems and software where appropriate to the student's field of study;
- an understanding of the relevance and value of their research to national and international communities of scholars and collaborators;
- an awareness where appropriate of issues related to intellectual property management and the commercialisation of innovation; and
- an ability to formulate applications to relevant agencies, such as funding bodies and ethics committees. The University provides a variety of opportunities in addition to the supervised research program, to facilitate a students' acquisition of these attributes.
Last updated: 24 January 2023