To learn more, visit 2023 Course and subject delivery.
|Look up fees
This capstone subject brings together and builds on an understanding of construction technologies and introduces project management concepts. Using an integrated project involving a series of studio-based exercises, students will translate a design proposal into operational construction and project management plans. A project based learning environment will be formulated for students to experience construction and project management decision making from concept through to completion. Details of project environment, construction systems, resource constraints, production processes, and management tools and methods will be explored and efficient project plans will be developed.
In this capstone subject, students will form teams and work on assigned projects appropriately selected from the industry. Different roles in the project will be played by the teams. For example, the tenderers are to prepare a project development proposal based on the requirements of the client and then develop operational plans to implement the project. To accomplish this, the tenderers need to plan the construction project based on the development proposal, clients’ requirements and resources available. They are to estimate and evaluate activity durations, simulate and adjust construction sequences and balance resources involved. In developing the construction plan, alternative construction systems and methods will be examined and compared. Essential elements of the plan include construction equipment, temporary works and site layout. Site safety is an integral part of the plan.
The planning processes will be assisted by introducing commercial computer applications.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the subject students should be able to:
- Understand the sequence and complexity of planning and delivering a complex building project;
- Understand the variety of procurement processes and identify underlying considerations, particularly risk assessment for specific projects;
- Understand the role of method statements and planning for construction;
- Identify and analyse alternative design and construction techniques;
- Identify the role of cost estimating and planning in design and construction solutions;
- Identify and design site team management layouts and communication requirements;
- Identify potential safety considerations around tasks and design effective responses;
- Understand the inter-relations between project management functions such as scope, cost, time, quality, risk, procurement and integration management as they apply to specific projects;
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate design and construction strategies verbally and visually via a public capstone presentation.
- An appreciation of the roles of client/engineer/architect/project manager.
- A commitment to and fundamental appreciation of, the concept of successful teamwork.
- An ability to communicate effectively, clearly and concisely ideas, concepts and solutions within the project team and between the project team and stakeholders.
- An ability to apply fundamentals along with the basics of science and mathematics to problem solving in specific scenarios.
Last updated: 30 January 2024