To learn more, visit 2023 Course and subject delivery.
|Look up fees
Urban Transport systems face many challenges due to growing levels of congestion and rising levels of environmental, social and safety problems.
This subject will use the systems approach as a framework for developing the key skills that need to be acquired to develop and implement new transport technologies that can improve the sustainability of urban transport systems.
This course will focus on (1) the fundamental knowledge to understand transport systems from the perspective of an engineer and planner, and on (2) how new technologies can be integrated with existing transport services to improve accessibility and sustainability in transport systems. Key skills will be attained in the areas of data collection and processing, analysis, and evaluation.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- SILO1. Identify elements of urban transport systems and basic theories used in transport engineering ;
- SILO2. Explain the concepts of accessibility, equity, and sustainability within the scope of urban transport systems;
- SILO3. Examine causal relationships between transport system's elements;
- SILO4. Analyse operational, tactical, and strategic level transport engineering problems and solutions;
- SILO5. Estimate the demand for new services based on user and system attributes;
- SILO6. Design public transport service and signal timing plans;
- SILO7. Collect and analyse different types of transport demand and service data;
- SILO8. Propose data collection approaches involving emerging technologies to improve transport services;
- SILO9. Assess the appropriateness of emerging transport technologies for addressing urban transport challenges;
- SILO10. Demonstrate ability to work in a team to solve problems.
- Conduct investigations for identifying and formulating problems
- Apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals
- Evaluate design and transport technologies based on economic, social and environmental outcomes delivered
- Review literature through the competent use of the library and other information sources
- Use the systems approach to design and operational performance
- Appreciate theoretical and analytical concepts related to transport technologies
- Understand the interrelationship of ideas and technologies in multi-disciplinary science
- Communicate solutions via a written report.
Last updated: 10 November 2023