To learn more, visit 2023 Course and subject delivery.
February - Dual-Delivery
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject will focus on the complex topic of climate change mitigation. Climate change mitigation includes actions we take globally, nationally and individually to limit changes in the global climate caused by human activities. Mitigation activities are designed to reduce greenhouse emissions and/or increase the amount of greenhouse gases removed from the atmosphere by greenhouse sinks.
The subject will provide a critical and multidisciplinary overview of strategies for climate change mitigation but focuses on the technical feasibility and effectiveness of different mitigation options in the many different sectors that emit or sequester greenhouse gases. We will discuss in detail the emissions profiles and potentials for reducing emissions in energy systems, transport, buildings and industry, but we also include agriculture and land based systems and new breakthrough technologies. The subject will discuss the criteria and considerations for evaluating climate change mitigation, assess the feasibility in a technical and economic sense and the potential transformation pathways.
The strengths and weaknesses of mitigation strategies will be discussed in the context of national and international frameworks and economies. It will be demonstrated that climate change mitigation cannot be achieved by a single action but that multiple approaches may be necessary to achieve meaningful mitigation and that many societal sectors will be required to take action.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subjects students will be able to:
- demonstrate familiarity with climate change mitigation theories and practices
- assess the relevance of opportunities for climate change mitigation at a range of scales
- identify realistic climate change mitigation strategies at a range of scales; and
- evaluate the barriers and limits to these strategies
On completion of this subject students will have:
- specialist knowledge in the fields of climate change mitigation and policy
- skills for analysing challenges of climate change mitigation at a range of scales
- capacity to apply knowledge from a range of scientific perspectives to understand climate change challenges
- capacity to envision and critically evaluate strategies for facilitating climate change mitigation in a range of contexts
Last updated: 27 May 2023