To learn more, visit 2023 Course and subject delivery.
Semester 2 - Online
|Look up fees
This subject focuses on advanced modern literary texts, including study of contemporary Hebrew writers in prose and poetry, modern conversational idiom, and newspaper and academic articles. Students further extend their competencies in writing, reading, speaking and listening by engaging with authentic texts and situations. In this subject, Students will engage with authentic texts that deal with past and present themes of increasing complexity and that are of significance to Israeli and Jewish Culture. Students also acquire advanced linguistic structures that allow them to express with greater complexity their own experiences, aspirations and views. On completion of the subject students should have attained an understanding of advanced and academic articles and essays and a moderate level of complexity in speaking, aural comprehension, reading and writing of Hebrew.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject will:
- express themselves accurately on a range of issues and debates in formal and informal settings and develop their spoken, written and comprehension skills;
- engage with complex literary and non-fiction materials independently and utilize the knowledge they have obtained to explore and understand related issues and themes;
- understand a greater level of formal spoken Hebrew that is of moderate complexity on a variety of topics that are related to Hebrew speaking communities, including particular topics of their choosing;
- have further developed their reading skills and understanding of advanced scientific and academic articles and essays, enriching their knowledge of the modern idiom written and spoken in Israel today;
- have acquired a high level of oral competency in a range of varying registers that allows them to engage in substantive interactive discussions;
- have developed the ability to produce complex informative, evaluative, argumentative, persuasive and imaginative writing;
- interpret and analyse texts and genres of a moderate level of complexity using analytical language on cultural and literary topics and have gained more insight into the political and cultural history of Judaism and Israeli society.
Last updated: 20 February 2024