|Look up fees
This subject is designed for students with some previous knowledge of Ancient Greek (VCE level or equivalent). Students translate and discuss the interpretation of a selected work of a Greek prose genre (e.g., philosophy or history).
In tutorials, further work is undertaken on grammar and syntax. Students will also undertake work in Ancient Greek literary and textual criticism. On completion of this subject students should have consolidated their skills in working with Ancient Greek texts and have discovered some of the many important contributions which reading original texts can make to understanding the ancient world. Students who complete this subject may progress to Ancient Greek 4.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject will:
- Read an Ancient Greek text in the original
- Consolidate their knowledge of grammar and syntax, and extend their Ancient Greek vocabulary
- Gain knowledge of classical Greek history and culture
- Develop critical thinking skills and be able to think in theoretical terms
- Become familiar with the communication conventions of another culture.
Last updated: 20 February 2024