|Look up fees
This unit is designed to introduce students to the requirements of university study, engaging students in the transition to university and the concepts of various learning strategies and modes of learning. Academic writing and various communication techniques will be a key focus of the subject providing students with skills that will enhance their university scholarship and experience.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject students will:
- Demonstrate skills required to maximise learning from lectures, tutorials, practicals and other teaching materials.
- Demonstrate skills required to prepare written presentations for various purposes and audiences.
- Demonstrate skills required to prepare and present an oral presentation for various purposes and audiences.
- Critically assess and select multimedia sources appropriate for university scholarship.
- Create written and oral work that has a logical structure and meets accepted academic standards in relation to presentation, editing and referencing.
This subject encompasses particular generic skills so that on completion of the subject students should have developed skills relating to:
- The ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms
- Accessing information from the library via both electronic and traditional means
- Understanding, awareness and use of appropriate communication technology
- Analysis and critique of literature
- Reflecting on their own communication skills
- Working collaboratively with other students
- Organisation and time management
Last updated: 19 February 2024