About this course
Intended learning outcomes
This program aims to provide students with the technological and competitive skills needed in the design and engineering of modern telecommunications systems and networks.
It will provide students with opportunities to:
- Acquire a body of knowledge including recent developments in the area of telecommunications networks;
- Develop a fundamental understanding of the principles of telecommunications engineering;
- Develop an understanding of the basic principles underlying the planning and management of telecommunications networks;
- Obtain the mathematical and computational skills necessary for the solution of theoretical and practical problems;
- Demonstrate creativity and initiative in application of analytical, problem-solving and design skills to telecommunications engineering;
- Develop an ability to successfully work independently with personal accountability in solving problems in telecommunications engineering;
- Develop high-level oral and written communication skills specific to the needs of the telecommunications industry;
- Apply their knowledge to design, investigate and solve specific problems in the area of telecommunications and their applications through directed studies or projects in the form of internships with industry or research providers.
On completion of this course, the students should have developed:
- Problem solving and analytical skills;
- Critical and creative thinking, with an aptitude for continued self-directed learning;
- Sense of intellectual curiosity;
- Ability to interpret data and research results;
- Ability to learn in a range of ways, including through information and communication technologies;
- Capacity to confront unfamiliar problems;
- Ability to evaluate and synthesise the research and professional literature;
- Ability to develop models of practical applications and evaluate their performance by rigorous analytical means.
The Melbourne School of Engineering closely maps subject level attributes and knowledge to align with the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), whilst also aligning with Attributes of the University of Melbourne Graduate, Engineers Australia competencies and its own School attributes.
Last updated: 26 June 2020