About this course
Majors, minors & specialisations
A major consists of 50 points of study at third year level within a single discipline. A discipline is an area of knowledge, such as Architecture or Spatial Systems. Please note that access to third year subjects in majors is often controlled through prerequisite chains, with prerequisite sequences for majors often beginning in first year – please refer to each major’s Handbook entry for more details.
- Students must complete at least one major.
- It is not possible to complete a major and a minor in the same discipline.
- A maximum of two majors may be recognised. Double majors are only available in selected disciplines. Further information about double majors can be found at this link:
A minor consists of 50 points of study at first, second, and/or third year level (taken in any combination). Prerequisites may apply – please refer to each minor’s Handbook entry for more details.
- Minors are a shortened sequence of subjects taken from the range of existing majors in the degree. They provide a complementary course of study to a student’s major and, in some circumstances, may offer a pathway to a shortened 300 point Masters degree. Please check the MSD website (via the link below) for individual minors.
A specialisation consists of 25 points of study at third year level. First and second year-level prerequisite subjects may be required – please refer to each specialisation’s Handbook entry for more details.
- Specialisations are a short sequence of subjects that focus particular themes relevant across multiple disciplines. Subjects in specialisations do not form part of any existing major but are distinctive and are complementary to a student’s major. Completions of specialisations may support a research pathway, lead to accreditation with industry bodies or may increase employment opportunities.
Majors are available in the following areas of study
|Civil Engineering Systems||50|
|Computing and Software Systems||50|
|User Experience Design||50|
|Mechanical Engineering Systems||50|
|Digital Infrastructure Engineering Systems||50|
Specialisations are available in the following areas of study
|Building Information Modelling||25|
Last updated: 6 February 2023