About this course
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the Bachelor of Science (Degree with Honours), students should be able to:
Demonstrate scientific knowledge
- Demonstrate advanced scientific knowledge, conceptual understanding and skills, and apply these capacities to address a research question and/or current issue
- Articulate the methods of science, and explain why current scientific knowledge is both contestable and testable by further inquiry.
Practise the skills required for scientific investigation
- Identify, manage and critically evaluate scientific information relevant to their own scientific investigation and/or scholarly debate
- Demonstrate the skills required for the design, implementation, and review of a research project including problem-solving and critical interpretation of data
- Identify and follow the principles of ethical scientific practice
- Work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, in the planning and delivery of scientific studies
- Communicate clearly, accurately and convincingly about science ideas, current practice and potential contributions.
Present scientific knowledge and investigation in context
- Articulate the international scope of science knowledge, practice and development and the contributions made by its diverse scholarly community
- Explain the role of science in addressing current issues facing local and global communities, including the role of both fundamental and applied research in addressing real-world challenges.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Science (Degree with Honours) programs will have been provided with the opportunity to develop the skills to:
- Use and evaluate scientific literature
- Apply their understanding to the design and implementation of a research plan
- Acquire, analyse, evaluate and interpret data using appropriate techniques
- Communicate advanced concepts in their discipline in written and oral form
- Exercise responsibility for their own learning
- Work effectively in teams, both collaboratively and independently
- Manage their time effectively.
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) has the objective of preparing graduates who embody the University of Melbourne graduate attributes.
Last updated: 29 September 2022