|Year of offer||2018|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 3|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject focuses on issues affecting the management of construction projects at the site level. An overview of production management and how it relates to the construction industry is provided along with consideration of issues affecting the efficient use of resources such as labour, subcontract labour, materials, plant and equipment. Construction project planning methods and resource management systems are introduced. Labour productivity improvement techniques such as work, study and activity sampling are presented. Critical path scheduling is introduced and the construction plan for a low rise commercial building is undertaken. Contractor's cost control, industrial relations, site safety and quality assurance are also examined.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the subject students should be able to:
- Understand and assess construction management roles and responsibilities used on a current project and be able to identify alternatives;
- Understand the various procurement models available to design and construction teams;
- Understand construction techniques for efficient and sustainable use of resources such as labour, materials, plant and equipment in relation to the specific site conditions;
- Analyse the design of site plans and propose alternatives for achieving efficiency in site management;
- Review and analyse productivity strategies from first principles;
- Design a construction schedule based on the critical path method for a low rise commercial building by incorporating objectives and constraints arising from the project;
- Understanding of principles including, dealing with industrial relations, site safety, and quality control techniques from a contractor's perspective.
Upon successful completion of this subject students will have had the opportunity to develop the following generic skills:
- analytical skills;
- communication skills;
- problem solving skills;
- team working skills.