|Year of offer||2018|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject is a survey of investment decision-making in the context of property, with a focus on cash flows, return, and value. Property investments are surveyed with emphases on the analysis of commercial real estate and the theory and methods of investment analysis in respect to tax and financial consequences. Financial and non-financial factors influencing the investment feasibility of income-producing property are covered.
Intended learning outcomes
At the end of the subject, students should be able to:
- Evaluate property cash flows for asset valuation;
- Conduct risk return analysis to property investment decisions;
- Apply modern investment theory to the analysis of directly held property assets;
- Compare the risk and return profile of property portfolios with other asset classes; and
- Use spreadsheet based financial modelling techniques and property information softwares.
This subject is intended to develop the following generic skills:
- Communication skills: written and oral skills developed through online and verbal discussion threads;
- Spreadsheet/Calculator skills: competent use of Microsoft Excel and financial calculator required in class and in tutorials;
- Synthesis and professional application: application of practical and theoretical concepts to investment decision-making through midterm and final examinations;
- Personal skills: individual time management, self-directed reading and information synthesis.