|Fees||Look up fees|
An introduction to current issues and techniques in the field of cultural heritage globally. It will survey differing philosophies and challenges being faced in the documentation, interpretation, support and management of conservation and cultural heritage of buildings, landscapes, sites and cities across the world. The study will proceed via detailed case studies examining projects from a range of scales that may include individual buildings and structures, natural and designed landscapes, urban places and precincts, as well as sites of cultural and historical significance. It will include issues such as twentieth-century heritage, heritage during time of war, and the roles of sustainability and tourism as emerging challenges and opportunities for global heritage. Key to this study will be the development of a critical appreciation of the differences and relevance of international heritage-based charters and international heritage organisations. We will look at UNESCO World Heritage listings and terms of significance, and key national and international charters and regulations.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the subject students should have:
- an understanding of the various ways in which contemporary approaches to conservation and cultural heritage differ across the globe;
- a critical awareness of the aims, ideals and practices of contemporary conservation and heritage professional bodies and agencies across the globe
- appreciation of different practices in the heritage and conservation located or managed across cultural environments and with sensitivity to local and cultural concerns
- a critical understanding of the range, diversity and use of international heritage charters.
On completion of the subject students should have developed the following skills and capabilities:
- working knowledge and appreciation of a range of approaches applied globally to the documentation and physical investigation of buildings, landscapes and places;
- working knowledge and appreciation of international heritage charters;
- experience in the diagnosis of appropriate approaches to conservation and cultural heritage in a global setting.
Last updated: 10 November 2023