|Year of offer||2017|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject is a two week intensive design studio held typically on the first two weeks of July. The workshop will be run by visiting staff from the Architectural Association, School of Architecture, UK as well as teaching staff from MSD. The subject introduces students to contemporary digital design techniques, toolset and workflow, striving for innovation in design resolution. Design briefs are wide ranging from urbanism intervention to 1:1 material systems. The studio runs a unique vertical system where students develop project with their peers and is supported by a public programme of seminars, lectures, design reviews and exhibition of outcome. All projects are conducted in group work. This subject is run concurrently with AA Visiting School (Undergraduate) subject.
Subject has a quota of 36. This subject requires submission of 5 pages (A3) pdf digital portfolio of previous studio work. Submission is to be emailed directly to subject coordinator by June 19 2017.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the subject students should have developed:
- An ability to work cooperatively and professionally as part of a small team to deliver a design project;
- Evidence of critical reflection and analysis and self-critique in the development of architectural concepts and its resolution;
- Creative use of representational techniques, drawing systems and graphical methods in the production of compelling architectural presentation drawings;
- Innovative use of materials, representational techniques, fabrication techniques and technologies in the construction of compelling physical models.
- On completion of the subject, students would have developed the following skills:
- Critical design thinking and analysis;
- Introduction and advanced use of digital fabrication tools;
- Analogue modelling methodologies and production;
- Use of Rhino 3D along with other relevant digital modelling software;
- Ability to integrated digital tools in design process;
- Communication and curation of exhibition and presentation through digital medium.