|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject is an introduction to the grammar and reading of Syriac. It covers grammatical concepts and paradigms, sentence formation and translation and reading simple texts. Background information on the cultural context in which Syriac was spoken is woven into the subject matter. The aim is for students to acquire the elements of the grammar, syntax and vocabulary of Syriac, and attain reading skills sufficient to begin reading literary and dramatic texts.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject will:
- be familiar with the elements of the grammar, syntax and vocabulary of Syriac and have attained reading skills sufficient to begin reading simpler literary texts
- have discovered the importance of reading ancient texts in the original languages for the study of history and the ancient world in general.
Students who successfully complete this subject should:
- be skilled in critical thinking and analysis.
- possess effective written communication skills.
- have an understanding of social, ethical and cultural context.
Last updated: 10 November 2019